Careers in data science are in-demand. Learn more about what you can do to find a data scientist internship.
We are living in a world driven by data, the role of a data scientist has become more important than ever before. Data Scientist is a door that lets you jump into the hidden mysterious digital world in order to make informed decisions. Data science is more than just a field, it is something that drives innovation, transforms industries, and propels progress in all aspects of our lives. A data scientist internship can be the first step to starting a career as a professional. This will give you networking opportunities, hands-on experience to work on, and many more. But how to become a data science pro to grab this opportunity? how do you find one??
In this article, you’ll learn all you need to know about a data scientist internship from their perks and benefits to requirements to where you can find them. Moreover, in between, you’ll also explore budget friendly online courses that can help you polish the critical skills required to excel in the field.
Data Scientist Internship: Benefits, Duties, and Required Skills
If you’re looking for a data scientist internship, then chances are there that you’re curious about the benefits, duties, and skills required for becoming a data scientist. As you all know every internship is different, but here is a general outline of what you can expect from most data science internships.
Data Scientist Internship Benefits
A data scientist internship provides numerous benefits that act as the base of a successful career. First and foremost, it provides:-
- Hands-on-Experience: Which will act as a bridge between theory and practical. You will work on real-world projects, gain practical experience in data analysis, machine learning, and data visualization.
- Networking Opportunities: Internships provide access to a large network of industry leaders, allowing you to make useful linkedin connections & important contacts for your career.
- Real-World Problem Solving: Data Scientist Internships get you a chance to use your knowledge and solve real-world problems. Solving real-world problems helps you understand the practical challenges and complexities of data analysis.
Data Scientist Internship Duties
During your Data Scientist Internship, you’ll be assigned a lot of stuff that will increase your knowledge. As an intern, your key responsibilities will be analyzing complex datasets, building prediction models, etc.
All you need to do is to use your technical skill to find data and extract valuable information from it, and use this data in decision-making. As you start connecting the dots from these numbers (i.e. data), data visualization becomes your canvas. Interns also work with cross-functional teams to solve problems and develop their communication skills. Later this will help in fulfilling the gap between data professionals and non-technical teams. The internship will focus on everything research, experimentation, and creativity, in order to prepare you for the future in the field of data science.
Data Scientists Required Skills
It is important to prepare yourself with a wide range of skills before starting a successful career as a data scientist. Understanding the fundamental is critical whether you are a student or a teacher/parent guiding one:-
- Technical Proficiency: A solid grasp of programming languages like Python, SQL, Perl, C/C++, and R is fundamental. It helps you to manipulate, analyze, visualize data.
- Business Acumen: Data science is not just about numbers; Understanding of the business domain and how data can be used to support business decisions is important for data scientists.
- Machine Learning and Deep Learning: It is very important to learn the principles of machine learning and deep learning, as these techniques help you build predictive models, uncover patterns, and automate decision-making processes.
- Data Visualization: A data scientist must have the ability to analyze large datasets and present findings using visualizations and other means. Proficiency in tools like Tableau and PowerBI is essential.
- Problem-Solving: Data scientists are problem solvers. Problem solving requires critical thinking, identifying challenges, and developing innovative solutions.
- Communication: It is extremely valuable to be able to explain complicated findings to non-technical teams. Effective communication abilities serve as a bridge between decision-makers and data specialists.
- Statistical Acumen: A data scientist must have a strong foundation in statistical analysis techniques, such as hypothesis testing and regression analysis, to effectively analyze and interpret data.
- Curiosity and Adaptability: Apart from key skills, curiosity and adaptability play an important role as the field evolves rapidly, so being curious, adaptable, and open to learning is a must.
By having these skills, you or your aspiring data scientist can build the way for a successful and happy career in this exciting and rapidly data-driven industry.
Also read: 7 Entry Level Jobs of Data Science in 2023
Perfect Data Scientist Internship: Where to Find Them, Tips on Applying
The future in data science is skyrocketing. According to a report by IBM, the demand for data scientists will grow by 28% by 2023, making it one of the most promising and best careers in data science. Also, a recent study by Glassdoor found that the average salary for a data scientist in India in October 2023 is ₹12,20,000 per year.
Where to Find Data Scientist Internship Opportunities?
The first step is finding the right one. You can also become one of them by starting today to find a data scientist internship you can:
- Visit the Job Posting Sites and Company Career Pages
Start your search by visiting job posting websites like:
- Naukri, and
Just type “data science internship” into the search bar, and you’ll find a variety of opportunities.
Also, check the career pages of companies you’re keen on (and listed below). Many of these companies post internships directly on their websites.
Tips on Applying for Data Science Internship Opportunities
When applying for your data scientist internship, keep an eye on these points, these will help you land on your internship asap:
- Create Portfolio: Start highlighting your skills while you are learning. Add some freelance project or the one you made while learning. This can be a good supplementary addition to your application.
- Don’t Limit Yourself to Just One Internship: Apply to many to get one. Data Scientist Internships are competitive, and applying to many can increase your odds of getting interviews. It will increase your chances of getting an internship that fits with your goals.
- Use Your Networks: Use your existing LinkedIn network or professional contacts, in order to find internships.
- Resume and Cover Letter: Edit your cover letter and resume according to the internship eligibility. These are your professional calling cards, so make sure to proofread both before submitting them.
Top Companies Offering Data Science Internships
In this section, we will see the top-industry leaders that are offering valuable learning experiences and potential career opportunities for data scientist interns. Each company has its unique application process and requirements, so research thoroughly.
Getting a placement at one of these will make your resume look great and allow you to learn from experienced professionals. Here we go:
- Google: Google is one of the world’s most well-known companies. Google is an ideal place for a data science internship because gathering, storing, and analyzing data is at the core of everything Google does. Applying at google opens a door to work on a variety of projects and begin developing your professional portfolio.
- HP: If you want to take a more direct approach and learn data science online, you can apply for an internship at HP. Internships at HP are a valuable way to gain hands-on experience and apply your knowledge in a real-world setting.
- Intel: At Intel, Data science interns will have the opportunity to assist professional research scientists. This is an amazing learning experience as you get to work one-on-one with leading experts.
- McKinsey & Company: McKinsey shortlist candidates who are comfortable working in team environments and have good knowledge of machine learning, big data, Python, and other data analytics tools with communication skills.
- Amazon: This is one of the best and biggest companies for a data science internship. The application process is simple. You can apply by submitting your resume.
- IBM: IBM also offers data science internships that are usually 12 weeks long. These are available for both freshers, and experienced.
- Convergytics: Data science internship at Convergytics will provide you a chance to immerse yourself in the world of data analytics and gain hands-on experience with experts in the field.
- Yahoo: Yahoo accepts students with a degree in computer science, electrical engineering, or applied mathematics. They also accept students learning data science through dedicated online courses. Yahoo usually seeks data scientists with knowledge of statistics, linear algebra, and probability.
- Uber: Uber’s is a fully data driven company, making it a perfect company for data scientist internships. This data driven company will be the best suit, if you are into innovation and experimentation, because the Uber environment is full of innovation.
Full Stack Data Science Pro: Your Gateway World of Data
We offer an excellent chance to those who are eager to advance their skills in data science and have been experimenting with the field. PW Full Stack Data Science Pro course is not only an educational journey but a doorway to a variety of data scientist internship options. Let’s explore how this course will help you land those highly competitive internships and boost your data science career.
Data Scientist Internship often requires a strong base in data science concepts, programming, and practical experience. PW Full Stack Data Science Pro covers a wide range of topics, including Python, machine learning, deep learning, computer vision, and natural language processing, giving you a comprehensive skill set that is highly required by companies offering internships.
Job Assurance Program
PW knows the path to an internship is highly competitive. That’s Why, PW offers a job assurance program that ensures that, after completing 60% of the course, you gain interview opportunities with 200+ hiring partners, including top product-based companies and startups.
Community and Support
Joining the Full Stack Data Science Pro program doesn’t just give you access to knowledge but also lets you in in a community. You’ll have access to doubt-clearing sessions, a 12-hour chat support system, and a Discord community where you can connect with peers, mentors, and fellow learners.
Intern to Data Scientist
With the skills you’ll gain from our course, you’ll be well-prepared to make your move from intern to full-fledged data scientist. The skills you’ll learn will be useful not only for internships, but also for long-term success in the field.
Are you ready to move forward in your data science career? Enroll today to speed up your journey to secure data scientist internship opportunities. It’s more than just a course… It’s an initial step towards a career in data science.
- Decode DSA with C++
- Full Stack Data Science Pro Course
- Java For Cloud Course
- Full Stack Web Development Course
- Data Analytics Course
Data Scientist Internship FAQs
What do data scientist interns do?
Data scientist interns assist in various data-related tasks and gain practical experience in the field of data science.
How long is a data science internship?
The duration of a data science internship depends upon the hiring company. Generally, data science internships last from two to three months.
Does Google hire data science interns?
Yes, Google hires data science interns and offers the most competitive and highly paid internships in the world.
What is the salary of a data science intern in Deloitte?
Deloitte Data Science Intern salary ranges between ₹3.0 Lakhs to ₹8.0 Lakhs.
Is data science very difficult?
Yes, data science is difficult because it demands a solid foundation in math, computer programming, statistics. These key skills, abilities and knowledge can be excel by anyone with consistent effort and commitment.
Is data scientist a lot of math?
Yes, data science involves a significant amount of math, including statistics, linear algebra, calculus, and probability for data analysis and modeling. It is because machine learning algorithms, and performing analyses run on data which require math.